Saturday, April 25, 2009

Faith & Fear

Yesterday I heard a great comment from someone in casual conversation. The comment was that where faith exists, fear cannot reside. 

The comment could not have been more timely, considering the emotions we are feeling right now. We are extremely happy that we are pregnant. At the same time, we have a lot of anxiety about the 1st trimester of the pregnancy (well pregnancy in general). You hear so many sad stories about the things that go wrong in pregnancy and hearing those stories is scary. The reality is that about 12% of pregnancies do miscarry in the 1st trimester BUT that means that 88% don't. Once you get past the 1st trimester, the chances of miscarriage drop to about 1%. That said, why am I even focusing on those negative statistics? Am I being prudently cautious? Am I just being a neurotic New Yorker? Am I managing my expectations?

No matter what the reason(s) are for my anxiety, I've decided that I'm going to live in the positive throughout this journey and have FAITH that everything will go exactly as it should. What I do know is that Chris and I have a beautiful, loving, supportive relationship and no matter what challenges we may face along the way, everything will be fine.

My mother told me recently that she thought that Chris and I were such loving people and treated our families so well and that God (yes, the big G-O-D word has crept into the conversation) wanted us to share that love with a child. I believe her and know that we will have a family.

I chose to live without fear today and celebrate the reality of today.......that we are pregnant and moving happily towards the day we will meet our little girl or boy.


No comments: